NRCC MEMO: PA-12 IS THE LATEST EVIDENCE THAT 2020 WILL NOT BE A REPEAT OF 2018
TO: INTERESTED PARTIES
FROM: PARKER HAMILTON POLING, NRCC EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
DATE: MAY 22, 2019
RE: PA-12 IS THE LATEST EVIDENCE THAT 2020 WILL NOT BE A REPEAT OF 2018
PA-12 was the first trial run for the socialist Democrats’ 2020 campaign playbook and it failed miserably.
Fred Keller’s blowout win of more than 36 points is proof that the 2020 election will not be a repeat of 2018.
Democrats’ attempts to rehash the same narratives from last cycle will continue to be ineffective, as Republicans will remain laser-focused on the radical socialist ideas House Democrats have spent their time in power proposing.
STATE OF PLAY:
National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) polling conducted in PA-12 found significant opposition to the socialist Democrats’ agenda. Sixty-six percent of voters were either much less likely or less likely to support a candidate who would steer the country toward socialism.
The NRCC, RNC and Pennsylvania GOP partnered early with the Keller campaign to identify likely voters. Multiple rounds of modeling allowed the NRCC/RNC Data Departments to identify and target low and mid-propensity Republican voters to boost Keller’s image in the district.
The results in the PA-12 special election highlight the debilitating impact the socialist Democrats’ extreme agenda will have on their electoral chances. Democrat candidate Marc Friedenberg proudly ran on the new socialist Democrat playbook and the result was abysmal, as he was defeated by more than 36 points.
The NRCC will continue aggressively prosecuting the case against socialism and force the socialist House Democrats to run on their disastrous legislative record, which has focused on imposing bigger government, higher taxes and less individual freedom.
- The Democrat enthusiasm advantage is gone. Republicans are excited to vote in 2020. Keller overperformed the 2018 Congressional margin and his margin of victory mirrored President Trump’s 2016 performance.
- PA-12 was a trial run for the new Democratic campaign playbook and it failed miserably.
- Every single House Democrat will be forced to defend the radical ideas being put forth by the loony leftists who now control the party.
- Voters want nothing to do with socialist plans like the Green New Deal and Medicare for None, which will saddle them with exorbitant taxes and give the government control over nearly every aspect of their daily lives.
- House Republicans and President Trump have a clear message for voters: Republicans will continue to protect the individual freedoms our country was founded upon and ensure everyone has a chance to achieve the American Dream.